When Setting Objectives when Starting up a Business you should always use SMART objectives -the most well known method for setting objectives. S.M.A.R.T refers to the acronym that describes the key characteristics of meaningful objectives, which are:
- WHAT am I going to do?
- WHY is this important for me to do?
- WHO is going to do what? Who else need to be involved?
- WHEN do I want this to be completed?
- HOW am I going to do this?
- How do I know when I have done it?
- Can these measurements be obtained?
- What are the numbers, quantity, comparisons?
- Can we get it done in the proposed timeframe?
- Do I understand the limitations and constraints?
- Can we do this with the resources we have?
- Has anyone else done this successfully?
- Is this possible?
- Do you have the resources available to achieve this objective?
- Do I need to revisit priorities in my life to make this happen?
- Is it possible to achieve this objective?
- When will this objective be accomplished?
- Is there a stated deadline? (a defined time line)
Setting Goals Summary
Remember what gets measured gets done, so write your goals down, share them constantly with those who can help, are part of the goal and your team. Keep refining your goals to ensure achievable. If necessary, split goals down into achievable tasks.